Head of Communications
Contract type: Permanent, full time
Start date: to be agreed
Mudam, the Contemporary Art Museum of Luxembourg, is seeking a Head of Communications.
Inaugurated in 2006, in a building designed by the internationally renowned architect leoh Minh Pei, Mudam is the Contemporary Art Museum of Luxembourg. Our mission is to collect, conserve and present the most relevant contemporary art of our time and to make it accessible to a wide audience. Through our exhibitions, publications, and artistic and educational programmes, we aim to play a leading role in the promotion and understanding of contemporary art. Our museum has always been a place of artistic production, working closely with artists. Situated in Europe at the heart of a cosmopolitan country where no fewer than 179 nationalities live side by side, it is our wish to speak to all communities and promote their access to contemporary art. We are keen to make the museum an accessible living space, a place of dialogue and togetherness where the issues of our contemporary society can be addressed and discussed. We are committed to an inclusive, tolerant and responsible world in which museums play a unique role in the transmission of our heritage to future generations. We see ourselves as a social space, accessible to all, a place of exchange and togetherness.
Our future Head of Communications will play a leading role in this endeavour. Their understanding of our programmes and our content will enable them to formulate the right messages and communicate them via the right channels in order to reach a highly diverse audience. Passionate about art and culture and keenly interested in the issues of our time, they will enjoy raising the profile of Mudam and make it more widely known.
As head of department, you will be part of the museum’s management team. Under the supervision of the director general, you will lead a communication team of currently seven members and take part in important transformation projects, working together with the heads of the other departments. Central to your mission will be the promotion of our exhibitions and programmes to the public through an ongoing collaboration with all the museum’s departments.
Your principal missions will involve the following:
Establishing the museum’s external and internal communication strategy:
- Translating our vision into key messages underlining the museum’s impact on its environment
- Identifying the museum’s different target audiences and stakeholders
- Establishing strategies appropriate to the different stakeholders in order to generate and strengthen their engagement with the museum.
Developing the museum’s public profile:
- Drawing up and implementing an action plan aimed at increasing the museum’s national, regional and international profile
- Managing relations with the press
- Representing the museum abroad
- Raising Mudam’s profile on different channels including the web and, in particular, social media.
Audience development and loyalty:
- Creating communication plans to promote exhibitions, performances and the museum’s collection in close collaboration with the artistic and content department
- Working together with the Visitor Department to promote their programmes: developing communication plans and communication tools to suit the different target audiences
- Developing the use of the internet and social media to promote Mudam’s programming
- Working together with the Sponsorship Department and the museum’s commercial activities (shop, e-store and café) to implement business development, loyalty and marketing plans
- Developing, setting up and monitoring indicators to evaluate the impact of actions taken, to ensure continuous improvement and audience loyalty.
- Ongoing collaboration with management and with the different departments to identify and communicate key information
- Preparation of and follow-up on the internal communication plan
- Setting up of initiatives aimed at developing a sense of belonging and at facilitating the internal circulation of information.
- Team management
- Financial management of the department: development and monitoring of provisional budgets
- Project management within the department (website, introduction of new work processes, etc.)
- Participation in and possibly management of transversal projects (e.g. setting up a CRM system).
We are looking for an open-minded and enthusiastic individual, keen to act as an ambassador for the museum and thus contribute to its development. Suitable candidates will recognise themselves in this description and will be able to offer the following attributes:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Master’s degree in communication and media studies, arts/cultural management , art history or equivalent experience
- A proven track record in team management and supervision
- Leadership qualities and excellent aptitude for listening, communicating and teamworking
- A very good knowledge of the national and international press landscape as well as of contemporary art
- A strong sense of language
- A high sensitivity in dealing with images
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with a diverse public
- Ability to innovate and to question the status quo
- Comprehensive knowledge of social media
- Excellent writing skills
- Mastery of desktop tools
- Proficiency in French and English. Proficiency in German, Luxembourgish and any other language would be an asset
Mudam welcomes applications from candidates of various backgrounds without distinction of gender, religion, skin colour, nationality, sexual orientation or disability, aiming to reflect the diversity of Luxembourg both in its staff and in its visitors.
If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please send your CV together with a covering letter giving the reference MUDAM / CCE to Frédéric Maraud, Head of Human Resources, at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 23 June 2023 at the latest.
First interviews will take place during the week of 03 July.
For any further information, please contact email@example.com